Tuesday 29 November 2011

My first Linux Server

My first Linux Server

Hy,

sorry if i am wrong but i could not find the right forum to post.

I heared about ZFS from a friend and after much reading i think it is the right time to build my first Linux Home Server.

I planed 1 SSD for System and as cache for ZFS, 3x 2TB Sata HDD on standard Software Raid Controller. The controller is because my mainboard can not handle this Discs.

But i am a Linux newbie (just have a Centos Web Server :D) i have some questions and hope you can help me.

- I want to use ZFS -> SSD as cache or is it the same effect if have have enough ram?
- i read that if i use SSD as cache zfs can cache e.g. Videofiles and spindown the Harddrives if there are no using of this HDDs, is that right? So i can save energy.
- I want to use it as testserver for Webdevelopment and i need php, mysql and other -> apache2 install
- i need samba network share
- i read about snapshot in ZFS, how muc space is used by a snaphot? Is it like a read only copy form the HDD?
- at this time i run windows on this machine and spindown is no problem

Wich Linux can i use for this best? Is this from above possible?

If you need more info please ask. :)

Tanks for your help

No comments:

Post a Comment