Wednesday 30 November 2011

Need to find my "C" drive on bricked Windows machine...

Need to find my "C" drive on bricked Windows machine...

Backstory: My Windows 7 is bricked. I have two SSDs on the machine: the "C" drive with my OS, antivirus, etc... and a "P" drive for programs. On top of that I have four HDDs set up in a RAID 10 for data.

My problem is either related to a virus or to AVG-- it's the AVGIDSEH.sys stall upon start-up issue for those familiar. Basically Windows stalls on startup and eventually reboots... and on and on.

I saw that one person beat this issue by running Slax from a USB and then renaming a couple of specific AVG files, then rebooting, starting in safe mode and uninstalling AVG all together. So, having tried several other approaches, I made a bootable USB for Slax, and I'm FINALLY looking at something. Progress!

Now the trick is this-- I can see the former "P" drive and that's it. I can't see the RAID drive, which didn't surprise me. But I can't see the former "C" drive either.

Can somebody please take this Linux newbie by the hand and tell me how to figure out the source location of my "C" drive and then how to mount that so I can see it in Slax?

Secondary to that-- is there any way to get to the files on my RAID? Unfortunately I have an important work file on there that I need to get to asap.

My little head is pounding from all of this-- I'm barely staying afloat. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment