Wednesday 26 October 2011

Which Distro is right for me?

Which Distro is right for me?

Hey guys. Sorry for the question, you must get it a lot.
I've only used Linux a little. I'm considering Slackware for my desktop, but maybe I should go with Debian?
I am more happy with stable software than new, beta stuff. Customization is very important to me, which is why I considered Arch, but it's supposedly got some stability issues.
I like games, but just basic 2d shooters and stuff, nothing fancy.
I don't want to go near Ubuntu- a bit too "rigid" for me- or Mint, just because I don't like it. It has to be free. I'd like to learn about Linux in the process, which is why I've considered Slackware... does my limited experience actually matter? Unfortunately, it seems that all online quizzes give me results i'm not interested in. Mandriva/Mageia are just a bit too user friendly, Fedora and Suse are too business-like. I've heard about Gentoo, apparently the community is great... but it's supposedly the least user-friendly of the lot. It takes days to install- does that mean leaving the computer on for days, or sitting at it all day?
I'm really considering Slackware, but Debian's got so many programs... Basically, I'd like to get my hands dirty and learn something, stability matters but i'd still like tons of customization and being able to do simple tasks without too much hassle.
Please help me out, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment