Wednesday 21 December 2011

Centos 6 - No boot after Software Upgrade - How to recover?

Centos 6 - No boot after Software Upgrade - How to recover?

I have a home system in my basement. I ran Software Update and saw it go through most of the process. But I had to leave it unattended and when I came back the computer was off (not by anyone's hand). I turned the power bar to it off at that time. When I started it again, it ran through power-on, but held at a blank screen with the cursor at the top left. The power-on test shows that it detects the two hard drives and the RW-DVD drive, but its as though it can't read the boot sector on the main drive, or it can't access that drive.

All I have now is the installation DVD that I used in August to create a new V6.0 system. When I boot from it, the process quickly ends with a "boot:" prompt. If I hit enter it goes to a menu where the choices are to install a system, install drivers, rescue the system, or boot from a local drive.
Booting causes it to hang. I tried rescue, but don't know if I specifically need a rescue image. Since I don't want to re-install and configure the OS again, I'm looking for a alternative solution.

In fact, I can't tell if this is a hardware or software problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment