Wednesday 21 December 2011

Is open source a subset of proprietary software?

Is open source a subset of proprietary software?

First of this is not a out-lash at open source, or Linux but an honest question.
I am still relatively new to the unique world of Linux. Started off with Ubuntu when Unity came out, but am now currently using Linux Mint 11. So far I have loved many things about Linux and have learned alot but I am still full of questions. I have been for the past month and a half trying to avoid windows and making Linux my primary desktop but I keep on asking my self certain questions. If all the programs on Linux are open source and available for all then that means an operating system like windows has complete access to those same programs as well. But the other way around doesn't seem to be true. Linux does not have access to native programs for windows. For example I use code-blocks IDE when I am in Linux but I could also use this in windows. But I could not use Visual Studio in Linux which is what I prefer while I am in windows. I know that wine exists but I trying to speak about plain old Linux and plain old windows. So since the above from my experiences seems to ! be true, is open source considered a subset of proprietary software? If it is, then is it logical to continue to use Linux, from a software perspective? Now I agree that it is best to run applications on a more stable operating system period. But to be honest I have not run into any major problems in windows(7). So to me it is just as stable for my personal use. I also know and agree that its awsome to be a linux user and know I would never have to inevetst hundereds of dollars into a new operating system again! But I am not planning on buying a new operating sytem any time soon anyway. So back to my original question, Is open source a subset of proprietary software?

No comments:

Post a Comment