Friday 23 December 2011

New Install reboots to grub only prompt, no errors, splash screen ok

New Install reboots to grub only prompt, no errors, splash screen ok

I have been trying to follow this tutorial on grub:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...lems-grub.html

I have a dell gx270 with ide hard drive. I checked the kernel to see if ata_piix were enabled, and they were., for my ide controller. When, as tutorial suggests, to kernel /boot/kernel-3.0.6-gentoo, It finds my kernel. When I hit enter, I get kernel panic. I am not sure what to try next.

Can I assume, my hardware is not causing the problem?

I will continue, researching this, while I wait for a reply.
Also, I have a nice blue splash screen. I don't know if that means, my hardware is ok.

I should explain there are panic related errors which I will try to copy from the panic screen.:

VFS: Cannot open root device "null)" or unknown-block(3,3)
Please append a correct "root= boot option; here are the available
partitions:
0800 199382240 sda driver:sd
( it continues with 4 more)

Then Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(3,3)
Pid 1, comm: swapper not tained 3.0.6-gentoo #1

That is only part of what is on the screen, I don't know of any other way of saving complete . I plan to web search some of the errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment