Thursday 22 December 2011

External USB Drive Will Not Mount

External USB Drive Will Not Mount

Recently my external Western Digital USB drive will not mount. The unmounted disk icon shows up on the desktop when I plug in the USB drive and then when I try to mount via the GUI (right click mouse and choose "mount") it says operation failed. I am also unable to mount via command line - I get a message that says the partition is busy or already mounted. This is a production web server (SLES10-SP3) that has been running for six years with the same Western Digital USB external drive ( used to back up my web root). I am not sure if this is a sign of the external drive on its last leg or not.

I was thinking of deleting the lines referencing the Western Digital external drive in /etc/fstab and then rebooting. Is that okay to do? Thanks.

Here is my /etc/fstab


Code:

/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600YS-18_WD-WCAP01651022-part2 /                    reiserfs  acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_WDC_WD1600YS-18_WD-WCAP01651022-part1 swap                swap      defaults              0 0
proc                /proc                proc      defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts              /dev/pts            devpts    mode=0620,gid=5      0 0

No comments:

Post a Comment