Thursday 15 December 2011

unmet dependencies

unmet dependencies

Let me start with I'm still new to Linux, so be gentle.

I'm trying to install an application that has unmet dependencies, specifically it can't find Python 2.7. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 which uses 2.6.5 in its repositories. I understand that replacing it can cause some issues, so I've created an install using the following code

tar xzf Python-2.7.tgz
cd Python-2.7
./configure
make
sudo make altinstall

the error when I try to install is as follows

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
contourconfig: Depends: python (>= 2.7) but 2.6.5-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
Depends: python-gobject-2 but it is not installable
E: Broken packages


My question is how can I get my package to install and use this version of python? Please note that most of what I have do so far is a collaboration of Google and trial and error, so explanations of why you ask me to do something would be appreciated so I can see why I'm doing something, not just typing in what someone writes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment