Sunday 4 December 2011

Greetings and Salutations

Greetings and Salutations

One of the welcome screens suggested that as a new user I may want to introduce myself in the coffee lounge. Thus here I am.

I am an ABSOLUTE Linux UBERNOOB! I am however not a total moron. I have at this point successfully installed Debian GNU linux 6.0.3 on my Desktop. i386 flavored whatever that means if it makes a difference. I grew up on DOS back in the day... We even had that old 8088 set up to speak and take some basic voice commands tho it was usually easier just to use the keyboard. I liked DOS and was good at it. I HATED and still do HATE Apple/MAC because I could never (and still can't) get the damned thing to work quite right. Eventually I had to migrate to Windows which I resented (always felt it was Apple wannabe back then) and now for various reasons I have decided to migrate to Linux.

As an old DOS fan I'm not too afraid of the "command line" thus am willing to learn... Just try to realize at this point I really don't know much more than a very few commands and even those I would have to double check. I hope I can learn a lot here and hope to eventually be able to figure stuff out on my own but for now I will no doubt be asking A LOT of questions...
Yes I generally try to "Google first" tho for security reasons I really try to avoid Google these days. Scroogle or DuckDuckGo seem to be the usuall stand ins these days. So if I ask something that may have a "Google" answer... I've probably looked for the answer online and either didn't know WTF to look for/ask or the answer might have just been WAY over my head and I may just need it dumbed down and or explained step by step... and no doubt I will ask WHY certain steps are done and or what they mean or do...

Anyway nice to meet you all and I hope as I learn I can be as much of a help to noobs as I hope you all will be for me.

CHEERS!
KODO

No comments:

Post a Comment