Friday 16 December 2011

Problems installing nvidia drivers

Problems installing nvidia drivers

I got the latest nvidia drivers for a gforce 8600 gt card.

What ever I try ends up in tears.

After download I move into the directory with the nvidia .run file.
I do like normal and run

Code:

sudo sh longfilename.run
I do get an error saying an instance of x is allready running.
Now if I try to kill x from terminal I reboot.
So I checked /var/logs and found this:

Quote:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Sat Dec 17 02:36:00 2011
installer version: 290.10

PATH: /usr/lib/kde4/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> The file '/tmp/.X0-lock' exists and appears to contain the process ID '7818' of a runnning X server.
ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page at Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies.
Well I did go to the readme and I searched several forums.
I tried to install using first terminal ctrl+alt+F1 but also here I get the same error, allready running x.

then I tried that again this time using
Code:

init 3
beforehand, but yet again same result. As time is ticking I tried this even though I do not know why init 3 would make any difference, but I saw a tips in a forum and just tried.

I can't think of more to try yet I can not run the driver installer.

what else can be done?

No comments:

Post a Comment