Wednesday 7 December 2011

linux (repo ?)

linux (repo ?)

I am on a debian-based linux os's a variation of ubuntu...

I am curious though how the repositories are broken down.
I found this on the internet

Quote:

The repository components are:

Main - Officially supported software.

Restricted - Supported software that is not available under a completely free license.

Universe - Community maintained software, i.e. not officially supported software.

Multiverse - Software that is not free.
Does the differences in what you can do legally with the different repo software.

For example I can download multiverse software like dvdstyler ,...etc
And use it freely. Does the "not free part" come from the fact you cann't get the source code or just redistribute a modified copy, or both ?

Also is the only difference between whats under the universe repo to whats under the main repo just the fact that the main repo would held at a higher guarantee of quality? Where as the universe repo doesn't guarantee you anything in terms of functionality and quality?

And I am assuming the restrict repo is only different from main repo in that the software source is not available.

Do I got the repo's correct or am I missing something?

No comments:

Post a Comment