Tuesday 6 December 2011

Why do torrents not get capped for me? How do apartment firewalls work

Why do torrents not get capped for me? How do apartment firewalls work

Hey. I have a couple of q's that hopefully someone may know. I live in an apartment complex with a fiber connection to the complex. I'm supposed to be receiving 8Mbit down and 8 Mbit up speeds.

1.) I only receive up to 2 Mb/s down and 6 Mb/s upload speeds when I run speed test. The tech support can't figure out why. I'm not running anything else. Any hints I can look at to see what's wrong? (Check for a bad switch etc)

2.) My torrents receive up to 2 MegaBYTE/s download. They don't seem to be limited my my 8 Mb/s download cap. Is there a reason for this? Does it use a different connection type?

3.) How do apartment complex's firewalls usually work? Do I have a open NAT when I use programs or am I using the same ip as everyone else? Can I check to see if my NAT is open? My xbox games lag like crazy when I play, but when I speed test during a game, I receive around 1-2 Mb/s, which should be plenty for xbox speeds.

Thanks! Just curious on all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment