Monday 12 December 2011

Can't get online

Can't get online

When I returned from two days travel, my linux computer has stopped finding the internet.

ifconfig shows the gateway as 127.0.0.1. I can ping the gateway.

whereas my Windows computer (plugged into the same ethernet router) shows the default gateway as 192.168.0.0. The windows computer finds the internet normally.

If I try to ping either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.105 (the windows computer) from the linux computer, it returns:

"Network is unreachable"

When I first installed Ubuntu (10.4) on the linux computer, I inadvertently gave it a different network name from my Windows computer. I haven't had time to try to figure out what to do to get them to talk to each other.

So I would like to get the linux computer back on line and while at it, get the two computers to talk to each other.

I have no idea where to start. Please assist

No comments:

Post a Comment