Sunday 4 December 2011

Linux NOOB New install can't connect to the internet :(

Linux NOOB New install can't connect to the internet :(

Hi all,

Ok I just Installed Debian GNU Linux i386 on a 3GHz (intel iirc) desktop that I have. I didn't set it up myself and it's been several years since I've used it so I really don't know/remember all the details.

Fresh install linux is the only OS.


When I was installing, it asked me to set up a network something to do with DHCP and it failed but I figured I didn't need a Network to install it as i was installing from DVD so I skipped it. Well after a day or 2 of trial and error (formatting an HDD takes a while) I got it all installed and working. Now there is the little 2 computers Ikon in the upper right that I use to connect to the Internet on my Debian/TAILS flashdrive so I figured use that to connect to the internet the same as I would with the flashdrive OS but it doesn't see my network. So I MANUALLY typed in the name of the network and the password and hit connect but it just pops up a message saying disconnected.

Is the skipped DHCP thing in the install related to why I can't connect? if so how do I fix it.

and/or/in general... How do I teach this thing to see the internet???

Please know I am a Linux UBERNOOB! and know next to nothing about it and have only JUST started reading the manuals. Also I really never was too good with the networking alphabet soup... I really mostly did video editing... so I really need this Dumbed down as much as possible.

Thanx in advance

Cheers
KODO

No comments:

Post a Comment