Tuesday 13 December 2011

set Default Applications programatically - XFCE

set Default Applications programatically - XFCE

Enlightened and benevolent gurus,

BACKGROUND:
I am creating a Debian image using XFCE as a desktop environment, and distributing it via PXE boot on a network. After installing the image, I have a script which modifies certain components on the machines. All of this is humming along perfectly.

PROBLEM:
I need to know how to modify file associations from the command line.

FURTHER BACKGROUND:
Somehow, the default PDF viewer is set to be GIMP, which is by no means a pdf viewer. We install a number of different pdf viewers, but none of them supersede GIMP as the default. I would like to set epdfviewer as the default, but I need to do it through a script since I do not want to log on to every user profile and set it manually through the gui.

Any ideas where these file associations are stored and can be modified?

Thanks! Your help is greatly appreciated!

~Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment