Friday 2 December 2011

X won't run automatically

X won't run automatically

I'm running Sid, and I don't like Gnome3, so I installed xfce. I also installed SLIM. I later removed Gnome. I then decided that SLIM wasn't what I wanted, so I reinstalled gdm3. So far, so good. I eventually reinstalled all of Gnome, thinking I should really give it a fair trial. Somewhere along the line, I lost the ability to get a display manager to run. When I boot, I only get a text console, and running startxfce4 or startx doesn't work. I get the xfce login, but it hangs indefinitely and I have to restart by holding the power button. I can get a normal session, either Gnome3 or xfce, by running
Code:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm3 start
. That gives me the standard gdm3 login, where I can choose the session I want, and everything goes as expected. That's the only way I can get any X session. I've tried everything I can find through Teh Google and searches of several Linux forums, without success. Any ideas, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment